Comment, Like, & Favorite
Jackson Square At Dawn
Photograph - Print
New Orleans' Jackson Square is lined with old, Spanish-style buildings that date back to the 1800s. The streets on three sides are closed to all but pedestrian traffic, providing space for artists, bands and fortune tellers to do business.
Jackson Square was originally known as the Place d�Armes, and was laid out by Audrien de Pauger in 1721. It was meant to be a military parade ground and a site for public hangings.
It is the central point of the city�s famed French Quarter (aka Vieux Carree, which translates to Old Quarter). Famous buildings bordering the public park include St. Louis Cathedral (circa 1794), the Cabildo (circa 1799) and the Presbytere (circa 1797).
Transforming the space from a military grounds to a public park is credited to the Baroness Micaela Pontalba. She commissioned the Pontalba Apartments with wrought iron-lined balconies in 1842 along one side of the square, she also oversaw the building of fences, gardens and landscaping in a sun pattern. Jackson Square began a meeting place for Creoles, and the ground floor apartmetns were filled with shops and offices.
It was renamed Jackson Square in 1856 in honor of Andrew Jackson, who was the hero of the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812 and who later became the United States president. The square features a centerpiece sculpture of Jackson on a horse.
April 14th, 2014
Viewed 1,325 Times - Last Visitor from Myrtle Creek, OR on 09/21/2014 at 3:35 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview