Comment, Like, & Favorite
Kilauea Lighthouse - Kauai Hawaii
Photograph - Photographs - Photography
Kilauea Point, a narrow, lava peninsula protruding from the northern shore of Kauai, was purchased from the Kilauea Sugar Plantation Company in 1909 for one US dollar.
Before construction could begin, a method for delivering supplies to the point had to be developed. Due to the lack of good roads from the Nawiliwili harbor, the decision was made to bring the materials in by sea. The lighthouse tender Kukui would anchor offshore and then dispatch small boats with supplies to a cove near the point. Since there was no beach landing, the boats would anchor to cleats cemented into the lava rocks at the point. A boom derrick, constructed on a ledge above the water, would pluck the supplies from the boats and place them on a loading platform 110 feet above the water. Finally, after almost four years of planning, construction began in July 1912 and the light was dedicated on May 1, 1913. The tower was built in a Classical Revival architecture style out of reinforced concrete. The tower is a slightly tapering cylinder about 52 feet high. The upper portion has a steel circular walkway with handrail. The lens one of only seven second-order Fresnel lenses remaining in a lighthouse in the US. Barbier, Bernard, and Turenne manufactured the lens in Paris, France. The 9,000-pound lens floated on mercury and compressed air. The lens was rotated by a system of pulleys powered by weights that needed to be reset by an operator every 3.5 hours. An oil storage house was built 155 feet southeast of the light, and a small engine house in a small cove below the point. About 1,000 feet south is a residential area with three small stone houses. Each house and the lighthouse itself has a water storage tank.
August 16th, 2013
Viewed 118 Times - Last Visitor from Minneapolis, MN on 12/10/2014 at 1:47 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview