Ledge Light - Connecticut's House In The River
Christiane Schulze Art And Photography
Photograph - Photography
New London Ledge Lighthouse was built in 1909 on the Southwest Ledge. It was originally called the Southwest Ledge light, but it was felt this could be confused with another lighthouse in New Haven, the Southwest Ledge Light, so in 1910 the lighthouse was renamed to New London Ledge Light. The United States Coast Guard took over in 1939 upon its merger with the Lighthouse Service and the light was automated in 1987. The original fourth order Fresnel lens was removed and was later put on display in the Custom House Maritime Museum. In 1990 the light was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
July 9th, 2012
Viewed 451 Times - Last Visitor from Kiez, 12 - Germany on 09/13/2015 at 5:31 AM