Rhyl, United Kingdom
Cannon and pilotís cottages at Llanddwyn Island off the west coast of Anglesey, North Wales, UK. The island forms part of the National Nature Reserve of Newborough Warren. The lighthouse Tŵr Mawr marks the western entrance to the Menai Strait.
The row of four small cottages built for the pilots who helped boats navigate into the ports along the Menai Strait. This narrow channel dividing Anglesey from the Welsh mainland posed a threat of grounding on sand banks to the boats calling mainly at the ports of Caernarfon, Y Felinheli and Bangor to collect the slate produced in the hills. As well as guiding commercial shipping, the pilots crewed the Llanddwyn lifeboat until its wathdrawal from service in 1903.
The cannon was used to summon the lifeboat crew.
September 8th, 2012
Viewed 166 Times - Last Visitor from Kiez, 12 - Germany on 05/10/2015 at 5:15 AM