Gillingham, United Kingdom
Lower Slaughter Mill
Photograph - Photography
The twin villages of Upper and Lower Slaughter (the name comes from old English 'Slohtre', which has nothing to do with killing things and means, simply, 'Muddy place'), are just over a mile from the hustle and bustle of Bourton-on-the-water, but it could be a million miles away.
Lower Slaughter sits on the River Eye, also known as Slaughter Brook, and has remained utterly unchanged for more than a century with no building work taking place at all since 1906. The only attraction is a restored nineteenth century flour mill, where the River Eye meets the north-west corner of the village. The mill was last used commercially in 1958 and its tall chimney cuts an imposing figure. The chimney is made of red brick, in sharp contrast to the other buildings in both villages, which are made from the traditional Cotswold stone. The mill features a giant working undershot waterwheel. The mill was originally part of Lower Slaughter Manor, which was built in 1658 for the High Sheriff of Gloucestershire.
November 4th, 2012
Viewed 33 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 03/28/2015 at 1:24 AM