Photograph - Photography, Digital Art
A bit of Americana, perfect for collectors of vintage petroleum signs. The photo of this sign was taken in Pilot Point,Texas (digitally restored).
Magnolia Petroleum Company was a joint stock company organized on April 24, 1911 in Texas for the purpose of acquiring the properties of Security Oil Company and Navarro Refining Company.
Magnolia was operating 505 distributing stations throughout Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas by 1917 and had contracts with the Standard Oil Companies of New Jersey, New York, and Kentucky as well as Anglo-American Oil Company, Ltd., and Union Petroleum Company of Philadelphia to furnish various grades of refined oil. Magnolia Petroleum erected its corporate headquarters in Dallas, Texas, in 1022, a twenty-nine-story building that was the tallest south of Washington, D.C. Atop the building was a fifteen-ton Pegasus, revolving on top of an oil derrick. This flying horse became a symbol for the city and eventually also became the corporate symbol for Magnolia's parent and successor company, Mobil Corporation.
September 8th, 2012
Viewed 171 Times - Last Visitor from Kista, 26 - Sweden on 02/09/2015 at 5:37 PM