Mark Twian Museum Virginina City Nv

Mark Twian Museum Virginina City Nv Photograph

More from LeeAnn McLaneGoetz McLaneGoetzStudioLLCcom

View Profile  |  Search

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Washington, MI - United States

The Territorial Enterprise, Nevada's first newspaper, began its history in Genoa- Utah Territory in the 1850's. In 1855, the business had moved to Carson County, operating as a weekly for 4 years. In 1859, Joseph T. Goodman bought the Enterprise where it began printing in Virginia City on the corner of "A" and Sutton Street. When "C" Street was turned into the main street, the paper moved into the current location. The staff included Wells Drury, Dan DeQuille, Rollin Daggett, Joseph T. Goodman, editor, and most notably, Samuel Clemens, better known as Mark Twain. Twain wrote for the Enterprise from August 1862 through May of 1864, 21 months. The first story offices and composing areas were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1875 but the subsequent debris protected the press area below. The current two-story Victorian was rebuilt in 1876 and the press continued to run until 1893. Because of floundering fortunes and funds, the Enterprise was last published in 1916. After a 36 year gap, the Territroial Enterprise was revived in 1951 by Lucius Bebbe, writer & editor, and his partner Charles Clegg, photographer. The paper ran until 1967. The museum contains the press area, Mark Twain's desk and state of the art printing equipment of the 1860's, surviving intact just as Mark Twain left it.