Comment, Like, & Favorite
Minera Lead Mines Wrexham, Wales UK.
The first written record of the lead miners of Minera dates from 1296. The mine became a success story in the 18th century. Between 1761 and 1781, the city companies as owners of the mineral rights received nearly £13,000 in royalties.
The mine flourished again after 1849. The Minera Mining Company invested in a new pumping engine in 1857. A year later they installed a new winding engine to raise the lead ore and to work the mechanical ore crusher. Soon after the company built new ore bins, dressing floors for sorting the lead from the waste and the ore house for drying, weighing and sampling the lead ready for sale. All this equipment enabled miners to mine ore from the deepest veins in Minera, up to 400 metres below the surface.
In 1884 a new dressing floor was opened at Roy's Shaft with all the latest machinery. The Meadow Shaft site became a dumping ground. Gradually the dressing floors were buried. Only the actual Meadow Shaft remained in use and it closed in 1914.
January 22nd, 2013
Viewed 97 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 08/17/2014 at 7:23 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview