Minerva - Roma
Rome, Italy. The fountain on the Palazzo Senatorio in Piazza del Campidoglio, with an ancient Roman statue in porphyry and marble representing a sitting Minerva, and also later used as a representation of the Goddess Roma, dating back to the times of emeperor Domitian (51 - 96 aD). The statue was moved here in 1588 - 89 by architect Matteo da Citt� di Castello (Matteo Bartolini) in occasion of the construction of the fountain. The Capitol hill had no running water until the construction of the acquedotto Felice by pope Sixtus V (Felice Peretti, 1585 - 90), the fountain was added as a celebration (a "mostra") of the "new water" (Acqua Felice).
December 16th, 2010
Viewed 399 Times - Last Visitor from Darmstadt, 05 - Germany on 04/27/2015 at 4:38 AM