West Bend, WI
Minot's Ledge Light Blueprint
Digital Art - Digital Art
Part of Scarlet Blvd's Architectural Blueprint series, this art print of Minot's Ledge Light will add history and interest to any wall in your home.
Minots Ledge is one of many groups of rocky outcroppings off the coast of Scituate, and has been the scene of countless shipwrecks. Between 1832 and 1841 there were 40 wrecks on this and neighboring reefs. After the first light station on the ledge, an unstable open-work iron structure, collapsed into the sea (killing the two watchmen on duty) on April 17, 1851, plans were drawn up for this new stone struction.
Between 1851 and 1860 Minots Ledge was guarded by a lightship. Plans for a new stone edifice were drawn up for the Lighthouse Board by Brigadier General Joseph G. Totten and Barton S. Alexander, of the United States Engineers, started work on its construction in April 1855.
The new lighthouse was finished by mid-August 1860 and the light first exhibited August 22, 1860. The light was not regularly shone, however, until November 15, 1860, when Joshua Wheeler, the new keeper, and two assistants entered upon their duties.
October 29th, 2013
Viewed 736 Times - Last Visitor from Lynnville, TN on 10/08/2015 at 10:28 AM