Modern Lines - By Sabine Edrissi
Photograph - Photography
Coal Harbour is the name for a section of Burrard Inlet lying between Vancouver, Canada's downtown peninsula and the Brockton Peninsula of Stanley Park. It has also now become the name of the neighbourhood adjacent to its southern shoreline, which was redeveloped as an upscale high-rise condominium district in the 1990s.
The harbour is bounded by the Financial District to the south and Stanley Park to the north. To the east is Deadman's Island, the site of the naval station and museum HMCS Discovery, where the harbour opens up to the Burrard Inlet. The discovery of coal in the harbour in 1862 inspired the name. Within the harbour is a floating gas station for marine vessels.
Coal Harbour is home to Vancouver Harbour Water Aerodrome, located a few blocks from Canada Place. The name Coal Harbour is also used to designate a relatively new official neighbourhood of the City of Vancouver. The neighbourhood is bounded to the southeast by Burrard Street, to the southwest by West Georgia and Pender Streets, and to the northwest by Stanley Park. The northwestern section features parkland, private marinas, several rowing and boating clubs and a community centre designed by architect Gregory Henriquez. Towards the Financial District in the southeast, and across Georgia Street, the neighbourhood is dominated by high-rise office and apartment buildings. Much of the area between Hastings Street and Georgia Street is part of the city's business district and in the days when it was an upper-class residential district West Pender Street was known as Blueblood Alley because of the many large mansions along it. The six floating homes in Coal Harbour, along with the twelve in False Creek are the only legal floating homes in the city of Vancouver. Wikipedia-
July 10th, 2014
Viewed 341 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 04/20/2015 at 6:19 AM