Muncie Indiana B
This is one of a pair of digital prints. The images in both prints come from a single source, a 44-page booklet titled simply, “Muncie.” The publisher isn’t identified, but the formation of the Citizens Enterprise Company is mentioned. The sole purpose of this organization was to entice factories to locate in Muncie. The booklet was clearly concerned with promoting Muncie as a center for commercial and industrial development. It states, for example, that, “Muncie possesses a peculiarly healthful location. There is absolutely nothing in its immediate surroundings to cause sickness…. A perfect sewerage system conducts the drainage to White River, by which the refuse of the city is carried far away.”
The booklet describes the early development of the area and talks about climate and health, schools, churches, etc. The authors state, “In 1891 [the population] had increased to 13,858 and at the present time it is at least 16,000.” The booklet extols all the virtues of the city, including the availability of natural gas. The authors estimated the local supply of natural gas would serve the community’s needs for seven hundred years.
The images in this print include: the Wysor Grand Opera House; Marsh Residence; Boyer and Kandell factory; Delaware County Court House; High School; Common Sense Engine Co.; CCC & St. Louis Railroad Station; Walnut Looking South from Court House Square; and the M. E. Church.
The image behind the title is another view taken from the booklet. It is a view from the north along the river looking south toward an iron bridge and the court house.
November 11th, 2013
Viewed 19 Times - Last Visitor from Saint Charles, IL on 07/20/2015 at 2:25 PM