Newport In Autumn
Photograph - Original Art By Deborah Benoit
Newport was formed on October 26, 1781, and chartered under the name of Duncansboro, to George Duncan, Nathan Fisk, and sixty-three others on October 30, 1802. Amos Sawyer, Enos Bartlett, James C. Adams were the first town selectman. Amos Sawyer was also the first Town Clerk. These were among the first settlers of Duncansboro. The name was altered from Duncansboro to Newport, October 30, 1816.
The first clearing, which began where Newport Center now is, was made by H. & A. Adams and D. & S. Meacham. Here they constructed a dam and put up a waterwheel saw-mill on mud creek. Amos Sawyer, a carpenter by trade, built a home nearby. Two other settlements were established in the town: South Newport and Pickeral Point, later renamed to Lake Bridge (named for its location at the head of Lake Memphremagog). By the late 19th century, the Boston and Maine and Central Vermont railroads were routed through Lake Bridge and the small village experienced a population boom. In 1868, the Lake Bridge settlement was incorporated as the "Village of Newport". The main town village, Newport Center, was also incorporated in 1908.
In 1917, the Village of Newport separated from the Town of Newport and merged with the Village of West Derby (in the town of Derby) to form the City of Newport. In 1931, by special acts of the General Assembly, the Village of Newport Center consolidated with the Town of Newport, with its former responsibilities automatically assumed by the town.
January 7th, 2013
Viewed 182 Times - Last Visitor from Goran, 13 - Iraq on 03/04/2015 at 1:04 PM