Comment, Like, & Favorite
Notre Dame Des Victories And Place Royale
Photograph - Photography
By many considered the birthplace of Franco America, Notre Dame des Victories and Place Royale in Quebec City. Twilight city photography of the Notre Dame des Victories and Place Royale. The church is located at Place Royale. Photograph was taken in mid July 2013 on a beautiful night after sunset showing the Place Royale, the Notre Dame des Victories and surrounding historic buildings of Old Quebec or Vieux Quebec in French.
Occupying the center of New France first permanent colony, this small and still very much European feeling enclosed square served as the town marketplace. It went into decline around 1860 and, by 1950, had become a derelict, rundown part of Quebec City. Today, it has been restored to its historic appearance. The prominent bust is of Louis XIV, the Sun King, a gift from the city of Paris in 1928. The striking 17th and 18th century houses once belonged to wealthy merchants. The ladders on some of the steep roofs, used to fight fire and remove snow.
From Wikipedia: Notre Dame des Victoires is a small Roman Catholic stone church in the Lower Town of Quebec City. Construction was started in 1687 on site of Champlain's habitation and was completed in 1723. Originally dedicated to l'Enfant Jesus, it received the name Notre Dame de la Victoire following the Battle of Quebec of 1690, in which an English expedition commanded by William Phips was forced to retreat. In 1711, its name was changed again, to Notre Dame des Victoires, after bad weather had sunk a British fleet commanded by Hovenden Walker. The church was largely destroyed by the British bombardment that preceded the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in September 1759. A complete restoration of the church was finished in 1816. Francois Baillairge, architect, remodeled the facade of the church in 1916 to 1917. The church, which was listed as a historic monument in 1929, remains a popular tourist attraction within the city, as well as a place of worship. It has undergone extensive restoration in recent decades, to restore its colonial French character. It was designated a National Historic Sites of Canada in 1988 and plagued in 1992.
July 24th, 2013
Viewed 1,897 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 01/22/2015 at 6:26 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview