Old Slave Mart Museum
Photograph - Photograph Hdr
The original slave mart was established in1856 but closed in 1863 and used for other purposes. The building was purchased in 1938 and a museum featuring African and African-American arts and crafts was established. The museum changed hands in 1964 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It closed in 1987 but the City of Charleston recognizing the significance the institution of slavery has had in Charleston's history, acquired the property in 1988, reopening the museum.
The Old Slave Mart Museum, 6 Chalmers Street, Charleston, SC 29401
October 23rd, 2012
Viewed 262 Times - Last Visitor from Wilmington, DE on 09/26/2015 at 12:57 PM