Old Stone Church -2
Photograph - Hdr
There are four Louis C. Tiffany stained glass windows and a magnificent John La Farge triple window overlooking Public Square. The present organ was built by the famed Cleveland Holtkamp Organ Company and was installed in 1976 within the beautiful casework of an 1895 William Johnson organ.
The history of Old Stone is much more than that of a building. The impact that this church and its members have had on the Greater Cleveland community is immense and widespread. In the area of education, Old Stone members are credited with organizing the first free public school and beginning the first English classes for immigrants. Both Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland State University owe their origins to the generosity of Old Stone members. Likewise, the medical community has strong ties to Old Stone. Cleveland's first doctor (David Long) and America's first neurosurgeon (Harvey Cushing) were among its members. The first lectures of Western Reserve Medical School were held at Old Stone in 1843 and the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing is named for its patron, an Old Stone member. Both University Hospitals and the Visiting Nurse Association can trace their beginnings to programs at Old Stone.
July 29th, 2011
Viewed 37 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 04/27/2015 at 1:02 AM