On Top Of Fort Macomb
Photograph - Photo
Fort Macomb is a 19th century brick fort located near New Orleans, Louisiana. Protecting the Chef Mentuer Pass, the fort stood guard over the route from the Gulf of Mexico to Lake Ponchartrain. Built in 1822, the fort was constructed of bricks and named Fort Wood in 1827. Later, it was named Fort Macomb after General Alexander Macomb, former Chief of Engineers and Commanding General of the Army.
Fort Macomb is surrounded by a moat that pro helped funnel attackers to a narrow approach so that the fort could be easily defended. The inside of the fort features a citadel which is a last resort option should an attack reach inside the fort.
The fort was used by the Confederate Army during the War of Northern Aggression, but was taken by the Union in 1861. In 1867, the barracks caught fire and the fort was abandoned. Decommissioned in 1871, the fort is off limits to the public.
Special thanks to Fort Macomb, the Louisiana Office of State Parks, the Louisiana Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism, and the State of Louisiana Office of the Lieutenant Governor.
April 8th, 2014
Viewed 391 Times - Last Visitor from Dubuque, Iowa on 07/06/2015 at 10:52 AM