Pink Palace Of The Pacific
Photograph - Photography
The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, also known as the Pink Palace of the Pacific, is located at 2259 Kalākaua Avenue in Honolulu, Hawaii, on the island of Oahu. One of the first hotels established in Waikiki, The Royal Hawaiian is considered one of the flagship hotels in Hawaii tourism. It opened its doors to guests on 1 February 1927 with a black tie gala attended by over 1,200 guests. The hotel quickly became an icon of Hawaii's glory days.
The Royal Hawaiian closed on 1 June 2008 for a complete renovation. The property reopened on 20 January 2009 as a member of The Luxury Collection Resort division of Starwood Hotels. An extended renovation of the Royal Beach Tower was then completed in 2010, in a pristine beach house style, providing two distinct accommodation options for guests.
The Royal Hawaiian cost USD $4 million and took one and a half years to build. The six-story structure had 400 rooms and were of Spanish and Moorish styles popular during the 1920s. The Royal Hawaiian Hotel was influenced by Hollywood legend Rudolph Valentino and his Arabian movies. Cupolas were created to resemble Spanish mission-style bell towers. The pink color was taken from a popular American obsession of the era. The architects were Warren and Wetmore of New York City.
The hotel's public rooms, notably the Oceanside Lobby and Recreation Lounge, were redecorated in 1946 by Frances Elkins, the sister of architect David Adler
June 25th, 2012
Viewed 150 Times - Last Visitor from Royal Leamington Spa, P3 - United Kingdom on 06/27/2015 at 9:12 AM