Piscataquis River Dover-foxcroft Maine
Photograph - Original Fine Art Landscape Photography
November sunset on the Piscataquis River Dover-Foxcroft, Maine. Original Fine Art Landscape photography by Bob Orsillo.
Copyright (c)Bob Orsillo / http://orsillo.com - All Rights Reserved.
Buy art online.
Buy photography online
It was originally two towns, Dover and Foxcroft, separated by the Piscataquis River (Dover is on the south side, Foxcroft on the north).
Dover was purchased from Massachusetts by Boston merchants Charles Vaughan and John Merrick, both of whom had emigrated from England. It was first permanently settled in 1803 by Eli Towne from Temple, New Hampshire, then incorporated on January 19, 1822. Agriculture was the principal early occupation, producing potatoes, corn and grain.
Originally known as T5 R7 NWP, Foxcroft was one of five towns conveyed by Massachusetts in 1796 to Bowdoin College. It was purchased from the college in 1800 by Joseph E. Foxcroft of New Gloucester and settled by John, Eleazer and Seth Spaulding in 1806, when they built the first mill. It was dubbed Spauldingtown until February 29, 1812, when it was incorporated as Foxcroft, taking its proprietor's name.
The Piscataquis River offered water power sites for mills. In 1859, when the population was about 2,500, industries included four sawmills, shingle and clapboard manufacturers, one gristmill, two tanneries, two carriage makers, and a woolen factory.
By 1859, when the population was 1,045, industries included two sawmills, one shingle mill, one carding machine, one carriage builder, one chair manufacturer, one tannery, one fork maker, two pail makers, one machinist, and a sash, door and blind factory.
On March 1, 1922, the two towns merged into a single town.
November 5th, 2010
Viewed 2,558 Times - Last Visitor from Deerfield Beach, FL on 08/30/2015 at 9:54 AM