Comment, Like, & Favorite
Point Vicente Lighthouse On The Cliffs Of Palos Verdes California
Photograph - Photographs - Prints - Digital Images - Cards - Posters - Photo-calendars - Photos
© CT-Graphics - Christine Till
Standing on the most southwesterly point of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, Los Angeles, Point Vicente Lighthouse has long been one of this area's jewels. To the landsman, the lighthouse is a scenic delight and a continual attraction to sightseers, photographers and painters. To the mariner, the lighthouse is an aid to navigation which marks the northern end of the Catalina Channel on the Pacific coast. Before the installation of the Point Vincente Light on May 1,1926, many ships and seamen went to their graves on this disastrous, rocky stretch of southern California's Pacific coast.
During World War II the Coast Artillery men didn't want Point Vicente's light to be too good of an aid to enemy navigation. The 1000 watt light was replaced by a tiny 25 watt bulb, and black out curtains hung ready for use in all the windows. After the war, when the light was returned to its normal power, the endlessly rotating beam became a glaring disturbance to local residents and a hazard to motorists on Palos Verdes Drive.
Keepers coated the inside of the inland facing windows with a coat of opaque, pearly white paint to end the flash of the beacon on peninsula bedroom walls.
That's when the "Lady Of The Light" appeared. In the dim light through the painted windows, some saw the shape of a tall serene woman in a flowing gown who would slowly pace the tower's walkway. In 1955, a thicker coat of paint ended the spirit's nightly romp around the tower, and the ghost has not been seen officially since.
Today Point Vicence Light Station still sends out it's beacon across the Catalina Channel. It is one of the biggest and brightest lights along the California coast.
March 17th, 2011
Viewed 1,153 Times - Last Visitor from Retford, N7 - United Kingdom on 08/23/2014 at 5:21 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview