Comment, Like, & Favorite
Portsmouth Harbor Light
Photograph - Photography
Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse is located within Fort Constitution in New Castle, New Hampshire, USA.
The station was established in 1771 and was the 10th of 11 light stations established prior to the American Revolution. The first tower was a shingled wooden structure with an iron lantern and copper roof. Its light source was three copper oil lamps.
The first tower was replaced in 1804 by an 80-foot (24 m) octagonal wooden tower approximately 100 yards (91 m) east of the 1771 tower. In 1851, twenty years after the establishment of Whaleback Lighthouse, the tower was shortened to 55 feet (17 m). Three years later, in 1854, the tower was fitted with a Fourth (4th) Order Fresnel Lens.
In 1878, a new 48-foot (15 m) cast-iron, brick-lined lighthouse tower was erected on the same foundation as the 1804 tower. When the new tower was completed, the surrounding remains of the 1804 tower were removed.
The current light is a fixed green signal that is visible for 12 nautical miles (22 km). The light is made green by an acrylic cylinder that surrounds the lens.
Other structures at the light station that are still standing are the 1903 oil house (restored in 2004) and the 1872 keeper's house (currently United States Coast Guard offices).
On October 8, 2009, Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
March 14th, 2013
Viewed 184 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 01/03/2015 at 8:49 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview