San Diego, CA
Quarai Ruins At Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument
Photograph - Photographs - Prints - Digital Images - Cards - Posters - Photo-calendars - Photo Art
© Christine Till - CT-Graphics
The red-walled Quarai Mission Church along with Abo and Gran Quivara, form the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument in New Mexico.
Quarai once was a thriving pueblo. The Tiwa-speaking Indians who migrated through mountain canyon trails from the area of present-day Albuquerque before AD 1300 farmed, gathered salt at the nearby saline lakes, and took advantage of their location between the Rio Grande pueblos and the Plains Indians to become traders.
The beginning of the end of the Salinas pueblos' Indians can probably be traced to Spain's conquest of New Mexico, specifically 1598 when Governor Don Juan de Onate had the Indians sign an 'Act of Obedience and Vassalage' to the Spanish Crown.
Around 1675 the American Indians fled to El Paso, and later they moved to Isleta del Sur on the Rio Grande.
April 11th, 2012
Viewed 351 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 10/04/2015 at 10:06 PM