Southampton, United Kingdom
Radcliffe Camera Bodleian Library Oxford
Photograph - Photograph
The Radcliffe Camera Oxford, a large circular building with a lofty dome, was built by James Gibbs between 1737 and 1749 with money bequeathed by John Radcliffe (1650-1714), the famous physician, and was designed to house a library endowed by Radcliffe. In 1860 the Trustees of Dr Radcliffe's will transferred all works on natural sciences to premises in the University Museum, where they formed the nucleus of what is now the Radcliffe Science Library, in South Parks Road.
The Camera itself, Camera, meaning "room" in Italian, was first lent to the Bodleian Curators and later, in 1927, the Trustees presented the freehold to the University. The exterior stonework has been cleaned and partly refaced at the expense of the Historic Buildings Appeal.
The Camera now contains two reading rooms, mainly used by undergraduates. Beneath the lawn to the north is an underground book-store, built in 1912, connected with the Camera, and, by a subway, with the Old Library.
The University of Oxford derived from the Latin, Universitas Oxoniensis is a university located in Oxford, England, United Kingdom. It is the oldest university in the English-speaking world, and believed to be the second-oldest surviving university in the world. Although its exact date of foundation is unclear, there is evidence of teaching as far back as 1096
January 30th, 2013
Viewed 216 Times - Last Visitor from Middle Village, NY on 03/18/2015 at 8:57 PM