Shepherd University - Mcmurran Clock Tower At Twilight
Photograph - Digitally Enhanced Photograph
Shepherd University - McMurran Clock Tower at Twilight
This photograph of the clock tower atop McMurran Hall bathed in the light of the setting sun was taken at twilight, during the festivities to celebrate the Semiquincentennial of Shepherdstown, West Virginia, on November 11, 2012. Shepherdstown claims its place as the oldest town in the state of West Virginia and home to Shepherd University. McMurran Hall stands in the center of the town on the university campus.
Central to both town and university, this image will appeal to alumnae of Shepherd University as well as to residents and former residents of the Corporation of Shepherdstown, Erected by Rezin Davis Shepherd in 1859, and intended to be the Town Hall, the building gained its clock tower in 1860, when the clock, donated to the town by Shepherd in 1842, was moved from its original home in the old Episcopal Church. Following the Civil War this building served as the county courthouse for a time. In 1872 it became the first building of today's Shepherd University. It was renamed McMurran Hall in honor of the university's first principal, James McMurran, in 1927.
March 19th, 2013
Viewed 72 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 04/16/2015 at 8:00 PM