Comment, Like, & Favorite
St Augustine Lighthouse - Old Florida Charm
Photograph - Photographs - Prints - Digital Images - Cards - Posters - Photo-calendars - Photo Art
© Christine Till
Near St. Augustine, Florida, the Matanzas River empties into the Atlantic. In 1546, Europeans landed at the Matanzas inlet. The first to come were the Spanish, followed closely by the French, then English, then Spanish again, then Pirates, more Europeans, more pirates, northerners, and so it went. They all arrived by Sea, and they rarely came in peace.
The original St. Augustine Light Station was a watch tower to warn the city of Staint Augustine of impending battle, but as time passed the watch tower was replaced by the need to guide ships safely to harbor. It is estimated that more than 200 shipwrecks lie off the coast.
The 165-foot-tall St. Augustine Lighthouse that exists today was constructed in 1876. It remains a fuctioning lighthouse and aid to navigation.
June 18th, 2013
Viewed 295 Times - Last Visitor from Seattle, WA on 12/21/2014 at 5:40 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview