Comment, Like, & Favorite
St Ives Cornwall
Photograph - Photograph
St Ives was originally a fishing community but, like other Cornish towns, the fishing industry has declined and the holiday industry has taken over. It still has a working port though on a smaller scale which allows the harbour to retain is traditional character and from the beach it is possible to watch local fishermen landing their daily catches of fresh seafood like mackerel and bass.
St Ives has had a lifeboat station since 1840 and since then the crews have saved over a 1000 lives. The station is located directly on the harbour allowing the lifeboat to be quickly launched.
Smeatons Pier was constructed at the latter part of the eighteenth century. Previously it was only half the current length. The original lighthouse gives an indication of its earlier length. The harbour was extended to its current length in the 1860s and an additional pier was added to it, constructed primarily of wood and failed within twenty years. The remains of this pier can be seen at low tide. The three arches in the pier were added to allow sand to be naturally flushed out of the harbour so preventing the silting up of the harbour.
Located in the town’s harbour sheltered by thick harbour walls a soft sandy beach is revealed when the tide’s out which is a perfect sun trap even on less balmy days. An ideal safe spot for swimming and building sand castles, the beach has easy access and is surrounded by the hustle and bustle of this popular resort.
October 25th, 2013
Viewed 167 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 11/26/2014 at 12:27 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview