Rhyl, United Kingdom
St John Ysbyty Ifan
The present church of St John, Ysbyty Ifan was built by George Benmore and was opened in 1861.
The hospice of St John of Jerusalem Ysbyty Ifan means Johns hospital, founded c.1190 by the Knights Hospitallers Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, was probably on or adjoining the present church. It was dissolved in 1540, but its church was retained as the parish church; this church was demolished c.1860. Some fragments of effigies and slabs, probably of members of the order, and dating from the 14th to the early 16th century, are preserved in the present church. Gravestone of interest in the churchyard include one dated 1666, dedicated to Sion Daffyd, and another dated 1661, dedicated to Elizabeth Price.
The church is in the Early English style with nave, chancel, south west porch, north east vestry and a bell cote with room for 2 bells on the west gable.
May 23rd, 2013
Viewed 133 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 09/29/2015 at 1:52 PM