Comment, Like, & Favorite
Photograph - Photograph
The picture of this colorful group was taken a the Main Market Square in Cracow (Poland), near the Gothic Tower of the Old City Hall.
Town Hall Tower in Krakow, Poland is one of the main focal points of the Main Market Square in the Old Town district of Krakow.
The Tower is the only remaining part of the old Town Hall demolished in 1820 as part of the city plan to open up the Main Square. Its cellars once housed a city prison with a Medieval torture chamber.
Built of stone and brick at the end of the 13th century, the massive Gothic tower of the early Town Hall stands 70 metres tall and leans just 55 centimetres, the result of a storm in 1703. The top floor of the tower with an observation deck is open to visitors.
The original Gothic helmet adorning the tower was consumed by fire caused by a lightning in 1680. The ensuing reconstruction of the tower took place between 1683 and 1686. The work was directed by the royal architect Piotr Beber, who designed the new and imposing Baroque helmet, which survived only until 1783. At that time, the helmet began to crumble, and was replaced by a smaller structure (right) sponsored by Archbishop Kajetan Soltyk.
The entrance to the tower is guarded by a pair of stone lions carved at the beginning of the 19th century. They were brought to Krakow from the Classicist palace of the Morstin family in Plawowice during the renovations of 1961–1965, during which the bay windows on the second floor of the tower were incorrectly reconstructed by a local TV personality, architect Wiktor Zin. Over the entrance is the original Gothic portal with the city coat-of-arms and the emblem of Poland. For many years the basement beneath the tower has been used as the performance space called the Stage beneath the Town Hall of the renowned Teatr Ludowy.
The tower serves as a Division of the Historical Museum of Krakow featuring permanent display of photographs of the Market Square Exhibition.
March 25th, 2013
Viewed 103 Times - Last Visitor from Banbury, England - United Kingdom on 09/12/2014 at 5:08 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview