Sultan Mosque Arab Street Thru Arch Singapore
Photograph - Photograph
A view of the Kampong Glam area with Sultan Masjid and its golden dome prominently visible. In the street are posters showing scenes from Oman given the proximity to Muscat Street. Kampong Glam Malay: Kampong Gelam; is a neighbourhood in Singapore. It is located north of the Singapore River, in the urban planning areas of Kallang and Rochor. Prior to colonisation by the British in 1819, the area was home to the Malay aristocracy of Singapore. It became prominent and more populous after the signing of a treaty between the British East India Company, Sultan Hussein Shah of Johor and Temenggong Abdul Rahman in 1819. The company was given the right to set up a trading post in Singapore under this treaty. During the colony's early history, under the Raffles Plan of 1822, the settlement was divided according to different ethnic groups which included European Town, Chinese, Chulia, Arab and Bugis kampongs. Kampong Glam was designated for the Sultan and his household, as well as the Malay and Arab communities, many of whom were merchants. It was situated east of what was then the European Town.
May 2nd, 2013
Viewed 118 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 09/13/2015 at 3:38 PM