The Belle Isle Scott Fountain
Gordon Dean II
Photograph - Photography / Digital Art
Scott Fountain was built on Belle Isle with funds left to the city of Detroit by millionaire James Scott in 1910. The bequest was conditional: to receive the funds, the city also had to erect a life-size statue of Scott. This condition outraged the respectable citizens of Detroit; Scott was a playboy who played elaborate practical jokes, feuded with his neighbors, told dirty jokes, drank, gambled, and probably consorted with loose women. In spite of the controversy over honoring such a disreputable scoundrel, the fountain's supporters eventually prevailed. The fountain, designed by architect Cass Gilbert, was completed in 1925.
The dedication on the back of the sculpture declares, "For the enjoyment of the people and for the adornment of his native city, James Scott bequeathed to Detroit his fortune to be used in the construction of this fountain. Erected MCMXXIII. From the good deed of one comes benefit to many."
July 21st, 2012
Viewed 239 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 02/26/2015 at 5:00 AM