San Diego, CA
The Chicago Lighthouse
Photograph - Photographs - Prints - Digital Images - Cards - Posters - Photo-calendars - Photo Art
© Christine Till
The Chicago Harbor Lighthouse is the city's only remaining lighthouse (and one of only two lighthouses in Illinois).
Built in 1893 and relocated to the breakwater in 1919, the Chicago Harbor Lightwas originally built at the Chicago River entrance. While fully automated in 1979, the light still exhibits its original prize winning Third Order Fresnel lens, and while most of today's vessels use Loran, Radar or GPS to find their way into the safety of Chicago Harbor, the proud tower still displays its reassuring beam to welcome mariners to the Windy City.
Chicago Harbor Light stood watch over Chicago Harbor and watched the city grow from a small military outpost to the third-largest city in the United States.
November 10th, 2012
Viewed 441 Times - Last Visitor from Borger, TX on 03/17/2015 at 12:37 PM