Little Neck, NY
The Crypt At Gothic Revival Style Church
Photographic Art and Design by Dora Sofia Caputo
Photograph - Photographs
The Crypt at Gothic Revival Style Church - Church of the Intercession - New York - Landmarks - Historic Places - Churches. Gothic Revival Style
Dora Sofia Caputo
The first Church of the Intercession was a simple wood structure in Victorian Gothic style at the corner of 154th Street and Old Tenth (now Amsterdam ) Avenue. The outline of its roof can be seen on the side wall of the still-standing building which once adjoined it. Completed in 1847, the first church building was used until 1872.
The cornerstone was laid on 24 October 1912. In May 1915, the new Chapel of the Intercession was consecrated, beginning its life as a place of worship and the object of admiration by lovers of beauty. On 24 July 1980, the Intercession buildings - the Church, Cloister, Parish Hall and Gates House (Vicarage) - were placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior, in recognition of their historical and artistic significance. The buildings, incidentally, had a few years earlier been declared a New York City Landmark.
The result of the Goodhue-Gates collaboration was a brilliant spiritual and artistic statement , one of the real masterpieces of church architecture in this country, considered by many to be one of the finest examples of the Gothic Revival style.
le Churches -
February 23rd, 2013
Viewed 128 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 05/05/2015 at 4:00 AM