San Diego, CA
The Door - Ceske Budejovice
Photograph - Photographs - Prints - Digital Images - Cards - Posters - Photo-calendars - Photo Art
© Christine Till - CT-Graphics
Populated in 1265 by inhabitants of the Austrian province 'Upper Austria' and by inhabitants of the Bohemian Forest, the compact old town České Budějovice (Budweis in German and English) in the Czech Republic is an example of the peak of medieval urbanism in the Czech Lands.
Thanks to royal favours as well as its economically important location around the intersection of commercial long distance trading routes the city grew with beautiful architectural constructions. At first mostly humble wooden houses were built to serve as dwellings for the residents, however stone buildings soon replaced these. Two beautiful churches were completed and solid fortified walls were erected around the city by the turn of the 14th century. For its unfailing loyalty and fulfillment of duties and obligations the Royal Crown rewarded Ceske Budejovice time and again with advantages and numerous privileges guaranteeing economic prosperity. One of the most important was the privilege granted by Charles IV in 1351, which decreed that merchants should travel through České Budějovice and offer their goods here. With its population of almost 4,000 České Budějovice became one of the biggest and most important cities in the Kingdom of Bohemia.
Ceske Budejovice with buildings dating from the 15th century is a pleasant spot to visit.
June 28th, 2012
Viewed 315 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 02/27/2015 at 10:16 AM