Green Cove Springs, FL
The Fraumunster Abbey In Zurich Switzerland
Susanne Van Hulst
Photograph - Photography
The Fraumünster abbey of Zurich was founded in 853 by Louis the German for his daughter Hildegard. He endowed the Benedictine convent with the lands of Zurich, Uri, and the Albis forest, and granted the convent immunity, placing it under his direct authority.
The abbey was dissolved on 30 November 1524 in the course of the reformation of Huldrych Zwingli. The monastery buildings were destroyed in 1898 to make room for the new Stadthaus. The church building today serves as the parish church for one of the city's 34 reformed parishes. Münsterhof, the town square in front of Fraumünster, is named after the former abbey.
The choir of the abbey includes 5 large stained glass windows designed by artist Marc Chagall and installed in 1970. Each of the 5 has a dominant color and depicts a Christian story.
March 18th, 2011
Viewed 327 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 09/30/2015 at 4:54 AM