Comment, Like, & Favorite
The James School
Photograph - Photograph
This one room school house, built in 1917 has been fully restored and was used until 1948 after rural schools were closed in the county. In 1949 the Hillside Gospel Mission purchased the building and it was used as a church for close to ten years. After this, the building was boarded up until 1985 as this was the time it was scheduled to be burned to the ground by the City of Presque Isle.
A restoration committee was formed during this time and for the next two years the citizens worked every Saturday on the restoration. The James School is now used as a gathering place for meetings, picnics, parties along with school field trips.
This image was captured during a typical snow storm with sub zero degree temperatures which shows the beauty of this magnificent school house with its working bell.
January 10th, 2013
Viewed 69 Times - Last Visitor from Seattle, WA on 07/13/2014 at 2:06 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview