Visions Of The Past
Photograph - Photography - Fine Art Photography
© 2013 Sandra Bronstein Photography. All Rights Reserved.
In southern Arizona, just south of Tubac, is Mission De Tumacacori. More than just adobe, plaster, and wood, these ruins evoke tales of life and land transformed by cultures meeting and mixing. Father Kino’s 1691 landmark visit to an O’odham village when he established Mission Tumacácori was just one event among many. Wave after wave of change has swept or crept across this realm - this land and its people are not static. This historic mission has been lovingly cared for and preserved for generations. Many of the adobe pots that remain in the various parts of the missions are original even though they are not in the original locations in which they were used.Tumacacori was built in the late 18th century. It takes its name from an earlier mission site founded by Father Eusebio Kino in 1691, which is on the east side of the Santa Cruz River south of the national park. This Kino-period mission represents the first mission in southern Arizona, but not the first mission in Arizona. The remains of the native settlement are still extant and have been investigated extensively.
The later Franciscan mission, which is now a ruin preserved as Tumacácori National Historical Park, was never rebuilt after being abandoned after repeated Apache raids in the 19th century that killed farmers and ranchers in the area and put a stop to the growth of the area's economy. Nearby Tubac was besieged in 1861. Visitors still flock to this location for marriage ceremonies, special religious events and photography. This is a very special place to many people and is of great historical significance.
January 5th, 2013
Viewed 227 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 05/25/2015 at 11:59 AM