Vista From Eze
Photograph - Photography
Image taken from the Botanical garden of Eze, France.
»ze is a commune in the Alpes-Maritimes department in southeastern France, not far from the city of Nice. The area surrounding »ze was first populated around 2000 BC as a commune situated near Mount Bastide. The earliest occurrence of the name "»ze" can be found in the maritime books of Antonin as a bay called the St. Laurent of »ze. The area was subsequently occupied by not only the Romans but also the Moors who held the area for approximately 80 years until they were driven out by William of Provence in 973.
By 1388 »ze fell under the jurisdiction of the House of Savoy, who built up the town as a fortified stronghold because of its proximity to Nice. The history of »ze became turbulent several times in the next few centuries as French and Turkish troops seized the village under orders from Hayreddin Barbarossa in 1543, and Louis XIV destroyed the walls surrounding the city in 1706 in the war of the Spanish succession. Finally in April 1860, Eze was designated as part of France by unanimous decision by the people of Eze.
»ze has been described as an ďeagle's nestĒ because of its location overlooking a high cliff 427 metres (1,401 ft) above sea level on the French Mediterranean. It's so high that the light ochre church within (Notre Dame de líAssomption built in 1764) can be seen from afar. An Egyptian cross inside the church suggests the village's ancient roots, when the Phoenicians erected a temple there to honour the goddess Isis.
Traditionally, the territory of the Principality of Monaco was considered to begin in the »ze village (outskirts of Nice), running along the Mediterranean coast to Menton, on the present Italian border.
»ze, renowned tourist site on the French Riviera, is famous worldwide for the view of the sea from its hill top. Its Jardin botanique d'»ze is known for its collection of cacti and succulents, as well as its panoramic views. Walt Disney spent a significant amount of time in »ze.
The oldest building in the village is the Chapelle de la Sainte Croix and dates back to 1306. Members of the lay order of the White Penitents of »ze, in charge of giving assistance to plague victims, would hold their meetings there. The shape of the bell-turret is an indication that the village once belonged to the Republic of Genoa.
The small medieval village is famous for its beauty and charm. Its many shops, art galleries, hotels and restaurants attract a large number of tourists and honeymooners. As a result »ze has become a "museum village", few local residents live here. From »ze there are gorgeous views of the Mediterranean Sea. - Wikipedia
April 29th, 2013
Viewed 298 Times - Last Visitor from Wilmington, DE on 09/01/2015 at 10:42 PM