San Lorenzo, CA
Way Back When
Photograph - Digital Photography And Digital Art
Sycamore Grove Park, Livermore, CA, and the no longer functioning Olivina Winery.......Texture from Kerstin Frank Art.......Photoshop action from http://lieveheersbeestje.deviantart.com/gallery/34574995 , modified.......Photoshop CS3........Here's some interesting history on the park, from the website www.larpd.dst.ca.us: First occupied by the Ohlone Indians, the site was bought by Julius P. Smith in 1884 and turned into "Olivina," one of the first commercial wineries in the valley. LARPD purchased the original 364 acres in 1974 from the New York Rock & Trap Company and named the park for its stand of sycamore trees, perhaps the largest in the state.........Nine acres were added to the park in October 1996 when Signature Properties donated land near its northwest end. The park grew by 370 acres in May, 1999 when a South Livermore Valley Plan through the South Livermore Valley Agricultural Land Trust exchanged preservation of this land for the development of land west of Holmes Street and south of Alden Lane.........Smith, who made his fortune extracting borax from Death Valley with 20-mule teams, bought 2,000 acres of land here in 1884. He named it Olivina for the olives he raised and the wine he produced and that were sold throughout the United States. The ranch also produced almonds and other nuts and brandy. Part of the multistory winery building still stands (on the border of the newly acquired park land), but the ranch house (where a trailer now stands) burned to the ground in 1940........Bernard, Marie and Charles D. Crohare bought the portion of the estate (from the creek south) from the Sarah B. Smith Estate in 1942. Through a property transfer program of the South Livermore Valley Plan, 370 acres of this portion were dedicated to the public as permanent open space in 1999.
February 8th, 2013
Viewed 152 Times - Last Visitor from San Francisco, CA on 05/29/2015 at 3:48 AM