White Church With Red Door
Photograph - Photograph, Photography
St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Port Townsend, Washington.
St. Paul's is located on the bluff in the Uptown district of Port Townsend, across from the historic Bell Tower. St. Paul's began as a Sunday school run by Mrs W.H. Taylor in her home in 1850.
Beginning in 1862, Alfred Tucker and a shipwright built the "carpenter gothic" style church on donated land. During the three year construction, lay readers and visiting clergy continued conducting services in the courthouse. St. Paul's was the third Episcopal congregation in the state of Washington and the first to build its own building, which makes St. Paul's the oldest Episcopal church building in continuous use in the state.
Original photography by Elena Nosyreva.
© All copyrights reserved by Elena Nosyreva, 2012
September 1st, 2012
Viewed 484 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 02/27/2015 at 6:43 AM