Comment, Like, & Favorite
Wrigley Building - 05.16.10_144
Photograph - Photography
The Wrigley Building is composed of two office towers located at 400-410 North Michigan Avenue in Chicago, Illinois. This location is at the northwest corner of Michigan Avenue and the Chicago River, marking the southernmost point of Chicago�s famed �Magnificent Mile.� Excavation for the project was begun in January, 1920, and both towers were complete by May, 1924. William Wrigley Jr. commissioned noted architects Graham, Anderson, Probst & White to design his company headquarters. Charles Beersman was the lead designer on the project. The form of the 425 foot tall clock tower is inspired by Giralda Tower of Seville Cathedral in Spain, with French renaissance detailing. Each of the four clock faces is 19 feet 7 inches in diameter. The two towers are connected by walkways at the 3rd and 14th floors. The exterior of the building is clad in glazed white terra cotta tile that was manufactured in England. Each of the approximately 250,000 tiles are individually cataloged and computer tracked for maintenance purposes. At the time of construction, this was the most extensive use of glazed terra cotta in the world. The building is celebrated for its brilliant night time lighting which helps it earn its title as �The Jewel� of the Magnificent Mile.
All prints have a black border around the image. This border contains an image catalog number, a description of the image and the Paul Hasara copyright. The print has a white margin at all four sides as shown in the preview.
September 8th, 2013
Viewed 7 Times - Last Visitor from Shenzhen, 30 - China on 05/23/2014 at 5:39 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview