Fine Art America is the world's most powerful sales and marketing tool for photographers and visual artists.
Simply open an account, upload your images, set your prices for all our available products, and you're instantly in business! FAA provides you with an e-commerce website, fulfills your orders for you, and sends you your profits each month.
“Decreation” is the word Jewish philosopher and mystic Simone Weil originated to describe the process of willingly returning energy to God through enduring fatigue and suffering. “We have to die,” she wrote, “in order to liberate tied up energy, in order to possess an energy which is free and capable of understanding the true relationship of things.” Only through decreation, she thought, could we discover joy.
My paintings address decreation symbolically in the juxtaposition of shadow and light, fragile landscapes or decomposing subject matter. My celebrative use of color points to not the absence of fragmentation or decay but their transformation into something new. This speaks to our own brokenness and its potential for unexpected joy and beauty when offered to God.
Art Experience and Awards
4th Biennial Juried Abstract Only Exhibition, August 2012, Wailoa Center, Hilo HI, Honorable Mention
• Calvin College Alumni Juried Painting Exhibition, February, 2012 Center Art Gallery, Grand Rapids MI
• Hawai’ian Volcano Observatory’s 100th Anniversary, January, 2012 show, EHCC, Hilo, HI
• Hawai’i Nei Celebrating Native Species, Wailoa Center, Hilo, HI; Honorable Mention Award August 2011
• E Komo Mai juried competition, Wailoa Center, Hilo, HI; Third Place Award, November, 2010
• Hawai’i Nei juried competition, Volcano Art Center, Volcano, HI June, 2010
• Art Open House, Ann Arbor, MI June, 2008
• East Hawai’i Cultural Center Spring Arts Festival, Hilo, HI; Honorable Mention April, 2007
• East Hawai’i Cultural Center Fall Arts Festival, Hilo, HI; Jurors Award, recognition by the State of Hawai’i November, 2007
• Portifino Gallery, Ann Arbor MI September, 2005
• Matrix Gallery Exhibit, Ann Arbor, MI 2004
• 55th Juried Competition, Sioux City Art Center, IA 1999
• Shubui Art Gallery, Grand Rapids, MI 1995
• Senior Art Exhibition, Center Art Gallery, Grand Rapids, MI 1994
• Edgar G. Boeve Art Scholarship 1993-1994
• Pat Snyder Verduin Art Scholarship 1992-1993
Bachelor of Fine Arts, 1994
Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Michigan