I have a habit of processing images quite dark. Rich has helped me in the past with this, but I figured I would show a before and after , of Rich's tweeks.
The image is of a model on a shovelhead Harley. Because of the bike and the clothes and the fact that the image was not as sharp as I would have liked I decided to do a 'hdr' effect to mask the lack of sharpness and to go with the 'style' of the bike and models clothes.
there was a van in the bottom rh corner of the image which i cloned out
i desaturated the bg wall and door and darkened them a bit
I airbrushed new skin onto the model because the 'hdr' tends to give zombie like skin
it had just been raining so the overall image was dark, I wanted to leave that alone but lighten the model a bit, as can be seen from the halo around her head.
I'll let Rich explain what he did to tweek the image and make it more suitable for printing
Great image! The composition is right on too! The model did a great job with the wardrobe, which sometimes isn't the case. They wear stuff that makes them look good, but not anything that helps the photograph.
I used Photoshop CS6, which was overkill for this tweaking and could have been done in LightRoom,Elements or some other program. First, I opened "brightness and contrast" and poped this to over 80+!!! Even though this image is a grungy kinda image, I thought that the overall image needed more light and would print better as a brighter image. The whites, really grays, in the wall are now in the 200's, using the eyedropper to check, where before they were in the low 100's. I used the large pipe as a standard, since the wall has a lot of texture and would fool the eyedropper. HDR adds some "darkness", not a Photoshop term! and needs to be watched as it pushes down the overall brightness of an image.
I then took the dodge and burn tool and removed the slight "halo" around her head(I'm lying, I did this first, when the image was still dark and the halo was easier to see!). I didn't want to create a new darker halo, so I knocked the tool back to about 30% and worked up from there.
I then used the "patch" tool and removed the pipe from the "y" shaped connection and the clone tool to remove the small window/vent and reduced some of the stains on the wall as well. I think that was all for this image.
One tip for the day: I ALWAYS as, my final tool, open up the "brightness and contrast" box and add 10-20% brightness and sometimes more, because after fooling around with the image, it seems, to me and I might be wrong(but I doubt it) the image gets darker as you work on it. I haven't tested this yet, but every image get's a B&C bump!
Okay, I hoped this helped a little and thanks to Tony for uploading his image, for me to play with,
Thanks for explaining Rich,
I will keep your tip of the day, I need it
It looks much much better as a brighter image and I know it would print better .
I'm not sure if Rich missed it , but i certainly did, the reflection of the models leg in the battery cover, its still the zombie colour.
Maybe thats tip 2 for the day, leave the image after you process it and look at it the following day and re check it for any missed bits.