This “pirate ship” was built in Lauzon, Quebec, 1914 and was originally used as a St. Lawrence River ferry named Le Progress.
In 1991 a wooden facade was built over the steel hull and the masts and crows nests were added to make her look like Jacques Cartier’s 1535 ship Le Grande Hermine. An owner with big dreams, but little money, parked the vessel in the marina of the Beacon Harbourside Inn (Montreal?) on Canada Day 1997. After a few moves and some unpaid dock-age fees, she was towed to her present location, where she has been ever since, the final stop on an odyssey along the St. Lawrence River. Arsonists cooked the floating restaurant in a 2003 blaze, burning off all the wood finishing, leaving a slowly rusting hulk on the Lake Ontario shoreline near St. Catherine's, Ontario.
Because of environmental and insurance issues, nobody will take responsibility for proper disposal or re-use of this beautiful ship.
This artwork is derived from a photograph taken May 27/15.