The Arkhangelskoye estate was first mentioned in the 16th century as "Upolozye" because it belonged to Alexis Upolotskiy. Later it was bought by Feodor Sheremetyev, a famous Russian high ranking aristocrat.
The Arkhangelskoye estate was a summer residence for princess Golitsins, but the "golden age" of the manor came in early 19th century when Prince Nikolay Yusupov, patron of arts and the member of one of the richest nobilities in Russia, became the landowner. He invited the French architect Jacob Guerne to design the main palace in 1786-1790. The building had two wings, one of them was used as an art gallery and the other one as a library.
At that time about 500 guests would come to the estate for celebration with the owner as noble parties were a symbol of the utmost luxury, style and high-class. Open air theatres, river boat rides, carnivals, poetic evenings, outdoor games such as 'hide and seek', cricket, card games, live music and balls with fireworks and nigh...