The Calhoun Mansion is Victorian house at 16 Meeting St., Charleston, South Carolina. The mansion is open for public tours. It was built for George W. Williams, a businessman, according to plans drawn by W.P. Russell.
George W. Williams' new house appeared in an illustrated guide to Charleston in 1875.
The 24,000 square foot house has thirty main rooms and many more smaller rooms. The main hall is 50 feet long and 14 feet wide. The house has a ballroom with a 45 foot high ceiling.
When Williams died, his house was inherited by his son-in-law, Patrick Calhoun, a grandson of John C. Calhoun. It was from his ownership that the house derived it common name, the Calhoun Mansion. It opened as a hotel starting in 1914.
Attorney Gedney Howe and his wife, Patricia, bought the house in 1976 and undertook a restoration. In 2000, Mr. Howe put the house up for sale, but it was still unsold by 2004, when he opted to advertise it for auction to occur on May 25, 2004. Before the auction,...