This is a nine inch Dahlgren smoothbore gun that was placed in New Hope, Pennsylvania to mark the colonial approach to town from the ferry landing and was dedicated on July 5, 1907. The gun is on loan to the borough of New Hope from the US Navy. It was cast in 1855 at the West Point Foundry and installed on the USS Minnesota where it saw action at the Battle of Hampton Roads between the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia (Merrimack) on March 9, 1862. Years later it was installed on the USS Richmond which saw action in Admiral Farragut's fleet. It was fired 108 times as of September 1888.
- New Hope Historical Society
October 26th, 2013
Viewed 30 Times - Last Visitor from Gloucester, VA on 03/25/2019 at 6:48 AM