Godrevy Lighthouse on the coast of Cornwall.
Godrevy Lighthouse was built in 1858–1859 on the largest rock of the Stones reef. The lighthouse is approximately 300 metres (980 ft) off
Godrevy Head on the eastern side of St Ives Bay, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. The Stones reef had always been a hazard to shipping
and a lighthouse had been considered many times prior to 1858 but nothing came of plans until the SS Nile was wrecked on 11 November 1854,
with the loss of all on board.
The lighthouse is a white octagonal tower, 86 feet (26 m) high and made of rubble, stone and mortar. The original light was a revolving white one,
with a fixed red light below the main light, which could be seen over a 45-degree arc when a ship was in danger of the reef.
This was later replaced by a red sector on the main light itself. Originally, the light was manned by three men at a time,
but in 1934 the lighthouse was automated. The light flashes white/red every ten seconds, with the red sector...