This original digital art is currently for sale. At the present time, originals are not offered for sale through the Fine Art America secure checkout system. Please contact the artist directly to inquire about purchasing this original.
Digital Art - Inks On Fine Art Paper And On Canvas
Gråbrødretorv takes its name from a Franciscan friary, which was located at the site from 1238 to 1530 when it was demolished. In the middle of the 17th century, Corfitz Ulfeldt built a mansion at the site and the square became known as Ulfeldts Plads (English: Ulfeldt's Square).
The mansion was demolished after his impeachment in 1663 and the subsequent confiscation of his property. Instead a pillar of shame was erected in the square to his disgrace, intended for people to spit on when passing it by.
The square after the Battle of Copenhagen in 1807
At the Copenhagen Fire of 1728 practically all buildings around the square were destroyed.
The area was rebuilt, but after the British bombardment of the city during the Battle of Copenhagen in 1807 it saw new devastations. In 1841 the square received its current name.
For many years most of the square was occupied by a bunker surrounded by parking spaces. In 1968 it finally became car-free as part of the pedestrian zone around Strøget.
The buildings on the southern side of the square were built in the years after the fire of 1728, while the houses to the west were erected after the British bombardment.
The square is characterized by colorful house fronts and dominated by a large plane tree. There is also a fountain in granite, designed by Søren Georg Jensen and inaugurated in 1971.
The square is lined by a number of restaurants with out-door service and is a popular venue for small out-door concerts, particularly during the Copenhagen Jazz Festival.
December 21st, 2011
Viewed 91 Times - Last Visitor from Wilmington, DE on 02/18/2019 at 7:49 PM