The first land airport of Helsinki, located in Tattarisuo in the township of Malmi, became operational in December 1936. The area is nowadays in the district of Malmi in Helsinki. The functionalist terminal building was completed in 1938 and designed by architects Dag Englund and Vera Rosendahl. The official opening ceremony took place on 15 May 1938.Today, the airport is still actively used in general aviation and flight training. It still is the second busiest airport in Finland after Helsinki Airport, as measured by the number of landings.
The future use of the airport is endangered. The City of Helsinki who owns the land wants to use it for house construction. The citizens' law initiative "Lex Malmi", supported by more than 56.000 Finns in just two months' time and calling for keeping Malmi Airport in aviation use by means of legislation, was presented to the Finnish Parliament on 8 February 2017.The aim of the initiative is to secure the future accessibility of Helsinki and Finland by air and to save the internationally acclaimed cultural heritage site.
October 29th, 2017
Viewed 141 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 01/16/2019 at 4:29 PM