The historic lighthouse in the historic town of Key West. This light is over 100 miles south of the Cape Florida Light, the top-most light in the Florida Keys. A fabled spot on the chain, Key West is a tiny spot on the map only 90 miles from Cuba. The first light at this location was lit in 1826, but the tower was felled by a hurricane in 1846, which killed the keeper�s family. The replacement light was only 60 feet high and was eventually increased in height to 91 feet above sea level. The coast Guard discontinued the use of the third order Fresnel lamp in 1969.
September 13th, 2012
Viewed 621 Times - Last Visitor from Beijing, 22 - China on 12/19/2018 at 3:26 PM